Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How do you pronounce that?

I'm always shocked by some of the names of flowers and specifically how are they are to pronounce. The most popular culprit would have to be the Orchid family, full of names like Phalaenopsis, Cymbidium, Dendrobium, and Paphiopedilum.

So, when Brian over at Inspired Home & Flower Studio brought over my flowers this week and said,

Alstroemeria

I said, "Alstro....what?"

Needless to say, the flowers on my desk are lovely. The Red Alstroemeria looks lovely with the Cherry Brandy Ecuadorian Roses - the colors fit together so nicely. I am a very big fan of the vase that he used this week as well.


For a small arrangement, it really gives it a little something extra, don't you think?

Back to the subject to which the post is actually about...I've been learning so much about different flowers, and particularly their uses in table-top arrangements. Some drink up the water much quicker than others.

It also gives me an idea of what a bride is feeling like during a floral meeting. Phala-what? Dendro-who? Ridiculous, wait - redonculous....hold up, renunculous? A floral meeting can be quite intense for someone not 'in-the-know' of the floral biz. My recommendation? Pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment